Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pizza Oven Fire

Durant Daily Democrat - Your source for local news, classifieds, business listings and events in Durant, Oklahoma. - Durant

Firefighters were dispatched to a pool house Monday after smoke was observed coming from the structure.

When firefighters arrived at 1:46 p.m. to the home at 225 Red Bud Lane, they saw a small amount of smoke coming from the pool house.

No flames were visible, so firefighters used a thermal imaging camera and determined the fire was between brick and plywood walls. The homeowner told firefighters he cooked pizza in a brick oven the evening before.

Due to the chimney’s close proximity to the wood framing, the heat caused the wood to smolder and then ignite hours later, according to the fire department. There was no damage.

A similar thing happened with my oven in early 2007. The builders framed it in wood, the oven and the chimney. They insisted, over my protests, that this was OK. It turned out not to be. As the wood dried with each firing of my oven, it eventually caught fire on the 5th fire or so. The fire burned inside the encased stone, as you can see below:

The builders were true to their word and re-built it, framing it in metal this time and there have been no problems since.

Subscribe via RSS | Lean Blog Main Page | Podcast | Twitter @leanblog


1 comment:

hoodsandmore said...

Do you have pictures of the repair?

Related Posts with Thumbnails