Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I've Had to Move and Leave my Oven Behind

After more than five years of wood-oven pizza making in our backyard - and 50,000 blog visitors - it was with mixed emotions that my wife and I moved to a new opportunity in San Antonio.

Since our beautiful oven was encased in stone... anchored to a six-foot deep foundation... it's certainly not something portable that we could take with us.

Luckily, we have an outstanding VPN-certified pizzeria, Dough, near us in San Antonio. We are becoming regular customers there.

Part of the reason we built an oven was that the wood-oven pizza trend had not yet come to the Dallas / Fort Worth area (or at least not close enough to our old home). After getting hooked on the world-famous Pizzeria Bianco before moving from Phoenix, we felt like we built the oven out of necessity. In the past seven years, a lot of amazing "real" pizzerias have opened in the DFW metroplex, including:


We hope that trend continues.

Living now in a condo in San Antonio, we don't really have the option of building a new oven... but someday, I'm sure we will again.

Some pictures from the last pizza party:












I'll miss our pizza oven... it brought us a lot of joy - and a lot of pizza!

2 comments:

Scot Cosentino said...

Wow that pizza looks delicious! Have you ever used revolving pizza ovens? What are your thoughts on revolving ovens?

Mark Graban said...

No, I've never used a revolving oven. I turn the pizzas instead :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails